Sunday, September 16, 2012

Saving June-Review

Author: Hannah Harrington
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 336 

Synopsis: Everyone's sorry. But no one can explain why.
Harper Scott's older sister, June, took her own life a week before high school graduation, leaving Harper devastated. So when her divorcing parents decide to split up June's ashes, Harper steals the urn and takes off cross-country with her best friend, Laney, to the one place June always dreamed of going—California.
Enter Jake Tolan, a boy with a bad attitude, a classic-rock obsession…and an unknown connection to June. When he insists on joining them, Harper's just desperate enough to let him. With his alternately charming and infuriating demeanor and his belief that music can see you through anything, he might be exactly what Harper needs. Except…Jake's keeping a secret that has the power to turn her life upside down—again.

___________________________________________________


Review: The first time that I heard about this book was on Dani from PentoPaper's blog. It was honestly her review that led me to pick it up, and all I can say is that I'm definitely not sorry that I did. I really think the whole idea about a road trip is really interesting (its also something I really want to do).  I think that part of this reason that I liked the book so much was that fact that it based on a road trip. 

Another part of the book that I really enjoy were the characters. Each were so different in their own way and they made the book that much better. It was really enjoyable to get to know Harper throughout the story, and to be learning everything from her point of view. She is an incredibly strong-willed invidivudal, but she also very mature for her age. I especially enjoyed her relationship with Jake, and it was great to see them getting to know one another better. I really like Jake's character as well. He doesn't quite fit the mould of the typical romantic interest.  

Another thing that I really, really liked was the whole incorporation of music. I loved how so many things in the novel are surrounded by music. In some ways it reminded me of Nick and Norah's infinite Playlist. 

Overall, I really loved this book. Once again, as it seems with my views, I've been reading things that I don't normally read. The whole concept of a road trip is completely new for me, and as it turns out, I absolutely loved it, I'm now looking to get more books about road trips. 
I think that if you haven't read this book, then you definitely need to pick it up. Its a YA contemporary, which I've really been getting into lately. 

Rating: 4.5 Stars. 




No comments:

Post a Comment