Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Diviners--Review

Author: Libba Bray
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Children
Pages: 578

Synopsis: Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City--and she is pos-i-tute-ly thrilled. New York is the city of speakeasies, shopping, and movie places! Soon enough, Evie is running with glamorous Ziegfeld girls and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is Evie has to live with her Uncle Will, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the occult--also known as "The Museum of the Creepy Crawlies". When a rash of occult-based murders come to light, Evie and her uncle are right in the thick of the investigation. And through it all, Evie has a secret: a mysterious power that could help catch the killer-if he doesn't catch her first.
_________________________________________________


Review: This was my second Libba Bray book. This is a book my sister had picked up one day at the bookstore, and I thought I would give it a go, and I'm so glad that I did! I managed to get through the 578 in almost no time, the storyline was wonderful and it keeps you reading. It didn't feel like almost 600 pages at all! As what I found with A Great and Terrible Beauty, I had not really read anything quite like this before. This book deals a lot with the occult, which I find really interested.

The story being set in New York City in 1926 is great! The 1920s are such an interesting time period, and Bray has done such a fantastic job in recreating it, it really felt as though the reader were part of it. As well, you can definitely tell that Bray did her research, and she did it well!

All of the characters were really well written, there really wasn't any that I wasn't too fond of. I especially enjoyed Evie's character. I loved her sense of humour, and I really enjoyed her whole attitude about everything. I found that her character really allowed for the reader to get a sense of the time period. Overall though, I found that all of the characters were really well developed and their backstories were all incorporated and gave so much more depth to the story.

There were a lot of plot twists in this book. I found myself a lot of the time really thinking about things and trying to figure out all of the twists the book had. There were also a number of plot elements that I did not see coming at all, which was great.

Overall I throughly enjoyed this book, and its something that I would definitely recommend, and its worth the read!

My Rating: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment